I have not had a cupcake for sometime so I decided to make some this weekend~why not it’s the Holidays!! I love pistachio’s and chocolate so it seemed like a no brainer (just add a touch of our friend the crazy coconut) and presto we has a moist and tasty treat as well as guilt free. Enjoy!!
- 2-1/2 cups pistachio flour
- 1/4 coconut flour
- 1/4 unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthum gum
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt.
- 2 eggs~separated
- 1/4 cup melted ghee/butter (or for even more coconut flavor use coconut oil)
- 1 TBS vanilla powder/extract
- 3 TBS xylitol (I use a spice grinder to make a fine sugar)
- 3 TBS unsweetened coconut milk (full fat and organic if possible)
- 4 oz of organic cream cheese~room temperature
- 1/4 cup organic cacao powder (unsweetened)
- 3 TBS coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/4 xylitol~pulse in a spice grinder as well)
- pinch of fine sea salt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Take your standard cupcake/muffin tin and line with paper or grease them very well. In a medium bowl toss in your dry ingredients: flours, coconut flakes, powder, soda, salt, and xanthum gum; I use a whisk or pastry cutter to make sure there are no lumps. In a separate bowl add your egg yolks, vanilla, coconut milk, xylitol and melted butter/ghee or coconut oil~use an electric mixer to incorporate. In a separate bowl add your egg whites and mix on high-speed until stiff peaks form~not sad peaks…stiff ones!! Take a small amount of whites and fold them GENTLY into your wet ingredients; keep adding a little egg white at a time until worked in (but not over worked). Finally add the dry components a little at a time until it is fully combined…but just~not stirred to death or you will be an unhappy person in the kitchen. Spoon into your paper cups (about 1/2-3/4 full); your batter will be a tad bit “sticky” but this is ok, pop them into the hot box for about 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Meanwhile you can make your frosting…it’s so good…by incorporating your cream cheese, cacao, sweetener, coconut milk and salt in a bowl and mixing on medium high-speed until you get a “buttercream” texture.